Thursday, February 1, 2018

Five Saucy Mothers

                 Ignore my cheesy title if it's too cringy, but today, we learned how to cook the five different mother sauces.
The veloute sauce is a white sauce that I had to bring to a boil. Since we did not have any white stock we just used chicken stock so the sauce wasn’t as white as it should be normally. Once it came to a boil, I had blonde roux ready in a boil and mixed some of the hot stock with it. I created a thick slurry and then whisked it into the rest of the pot.
                The béchamel sauce is made from milk and a biquet of onion, bay leaf and clove. I let the milk come to a boil. After adding in a roux slurry, you need to add the biquet in the sauce and let it slowly simmer for about 15 minutes.
                The tomato sauce was my favorite to make. It took a little over an hour to make so it was one of the first things I did yesterday. I sautéed onions and let them sweat before I combined the canned tomatoes and herbs. Because the canned tomatoes had a lot of liquid in them, we didn’t have to add anything else. I let my sauce simmer for about an hour. At one point the sauce look very dry and had barely any liquid left, so I added some chicken stock to add a bit of moisture and flavor. Once it was finished, I threw in some sugar to balance the acidity.
                I think I did better with my buerre blanc sauce this time around. To make the sauce, you have to let the wine and vinegar reduce down to about a tablespoon of liquid before throwing in cream to let it thicken. The first time i had ever made it, the sauce was way too thick so yesterday I put in half the amount of cream than last time. Then once the sauce reduced to nappe, I slowly added in butter to the reduction and whisked it in as it melted.

                The brown sauce took the longest to cook. The first thing we did in the kitchen was preheat the oven for browning chicken carcasses. We let the bones roast for about 15 minutes. First you must sauté the mirepoix until it has caramelized in the clarified butter. Then you slowly add more ingredients into the pot before letting it come to a boil. That’s when I added the sachet and then brought the mixture down to a simmer. After two hours the sauce reduced to a thick consistency. 

Bechamel sauce


Veloute sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment