Thursday, January 18, 2018

Heat methods

Today we discussed how different methods on how to cook foods. We tried out a dry heat and a combination method in chicken and parsnips. I had to first sauté the parsnip obliques and then added chicken stock and brown sugar together to cook the parsnips the rest of the time as a braising method. 
                I had prepared several vegetables to stuff my roasted chicken with. I stuffed the chicken hole with apples, onions, celery, lime, parsnips, rosemary, sage and minced garlic and made sure to sprinkle salt and pepper. Then I tied the butchers string around my raw stuffed chicken and trussed it tightly and correctly before placing it in the oven. I had to return it to the oven twice to warm to the proper temperature so that it would not be raw.
                I practiced my knife skills and cut tourne style with my potatoes. With clarified butter, I sautéed the potatoes to give it some brown color before placing them in the oven to be roasted for around 10 minutes. Today was a very busy day and I learned a lot of the standard procedures of basic cookery.

Here are my improving knife skills and my finished trussed chicken


I had the chicken with the breast down to the rack to allow the whole chicken to cook thoroughly and not be overcooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment